How much can i ecommerce site cost?

• This topic has 6 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 month ago by jorgeagh.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mikeit-red
    Participant

I’m building a site for a client, and I have to give him a quote, I have already done assistance on sites, but never a site from scratch for a client, I don’t know how much money I should take from him, considering that I still have to create my own clientele. Thanks, Michele

personanomada

This would depend on the types of products they are selling and the amount of products they have. I’ve done sites for pizza restaurants through to wholesale sites for cosmetic products. Each differed in complexity and amount of work. My pricing starts around $4,000 for a pizza site with online ordering and custom pizza topping options to significantly higher for more complex sites with more products. The question you ask is pretty broad, but if you know what you are doing, don’t be scared of charging what you are worth.

jorgeagh

Depending on the scope of the project, company size and the time you’re putting in to building the site. I’ve seen sites built from about $1,000 USD to more, depending on the size of the client.
    A Woocommerce site with about 20 products can be easily built in a day, provided you don’t have special requests

PointandStare

“same price as a car”

What you need to charge totally depends on your skill set, the client brief, outside resources etc.
    Being honest, it sounds like this project is out of your remit and you’d be better off outsourcing.
    Going that route you could get someone else to quote add on 10% for yourself and present that cost to the client.

timedoesntmatter42

its prob more about the complexity of their sales process, and number of products (esp variable products) … the actual setting up of an ecommerce wp site can be done in 10 minutes

quick_pwn

Start with a meeting. Discuss what the client wants done, page by page without leaving anything out. Is it a pre-built theme? Something custom?

Then take your hourly rate * how many hours you think it will take + 20% buffer incase it takes longer and there’s your estimate. You can then start to form a contract around that estimate where you outline timelines, payment methods, payment schedule, and any potential risks. Clearly define what the final website will be like and ask them to sign it. Then later on during the project build if they start changing their mind about anything you can record that time separately and bill them for it using your hourly rate.

OR

You could take an Agile approach and say my hourly rate is $xyz and I’ll build anything you want and they can keep changing their minds as much as they want. Schedule regular meetings with them and identify the website’s goals, who the expected users are and what their goals are too. As you work on the website show it to them ASAP (even if its not complete) and ask them for feedback on what you’ve done so far to see if you both agree it’s headed in the right direction. Then day after day, week after week you keep working like this until the client is satisfied and you send them a bill every two weeks.

​

The key difference between the first approach vs the second one is that the first one is “fixed” and doesn’t account for any changes or unexpected challenges that might occur, but you can still handle those separately. Whereas the second approach hands full control over every aspect of the website to the client from the very beginning all the way until the very end and they can change their mind about anything you’ve done for them so far. The benefit is that Agile usually a bit faster and less expensive and should result with a happy client who got exactly what they asked for.

mikeit-red

I haven’t seen figures anyway

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.