Jordi has a point: Anxious about the outcome of the Great PHP Syntax Bikeshed of 2020 aka @[#<Attributes}:)? You don’t need to be. The Great Bikeshed of 2008 on namespace separators was quite similar, and in the end we all grew used to it and moved on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    colshrapnel
    Participant

Jordi has a point: Anxious about the outcome of the Great PHP Syntax Bikeshed of 2020 aka @[#<Attributes}:)? You don’t need to be. The Great Bikeshed of 2008 on namespace separators was quite similar, and in the end we all grew used to it and moved on.

stillwondering4

What sane person would even suggest `:)` or `:>`?

sproingie

> The Great Bikeshed of 2008 on namespace separators was quite similar …

And we ended up with backslash as the result. Fine, there wasn’t much else available, but PHP has used up so much of the punctuation “namespace” that it’s getting harder to shoehorn new syntax in, especially with the primitive parser it currently has.

T2Drink

This argument just reminds me of every major patch or expansion on a game. Everybody argues about it for a bit then realises they are already used to it and it is actually fine.

helloworder

I am very used to using “ as a namespace separator. But… I don’t **like** it. I don’t think it is a good decision to use a commonly escaped symbol to be a part of a namespace. For instance in composer.json, in the de-facto standard php package management configuration we have to use `\` in namespaces. This is… not ideal.

I wish those guys back in the 2008 chose `::` over “. It is used in C++ along with Rust and looks like a good syntactic choice. And it is an already existing syntax for addressing static class members.

And since php copied much of its syntax choices from C++ I do not see how they went for other symbol. I just do not comprehend this. But we have what we have.

LogicUpgrade

We grew used to it, but to newcomers, PHP looks more and more like Perl by the day.

What do other languages use? I can’t imagine why you’d consider the others over / it seems so normal

przemo_li

False analogy.

Namespace separators where just visual preference.

&#x200B;

While attributes syntax already surfaced some issues with how its AST would interact with existing features and how PHP community wants to treat almost-BCs, and there is always a possibility that some of proposals mess up with nice parametric polymorphism (aka generics, aka templates) in the future.

stilloriginal

Can anyone explain what this is talking about

toto_ch

I have always read that php main advantage was its learning curve, especially with the beginners. Hope that they will keep that in mind (taking into account the new comers).

aleaallee

I still haven’t used namespaces yet, it seems like black magic to me.

SuperMancho

The namespace backslash character still doesn’t do PHP any favors.
    Long term, terrible choice. Attributes, same boat. It’s bad decisioning, which PHP was rightfully criticized over.

Not to be confused with the functional bad decisioning in the past, but still, it’s a pattern.

twitterInfo_bot

Anxious about the outcome of the Great PHP Syntax Bikeshed of 2020 aka @[#&lt;Attributes}:)? You don’t need to be. The Great Bikeshed of 2008 on namespace separators was quite similar, and in the end we all grew used to it and moved on.

posted by [@seldaek](https://twitter.com/seldaek)

[Link in Tweet](https://wiki.php.net/rfc/namespaceseparator)

^[(Github)](https://github.com/username) ^| ^[(What’s new)](https://github.com/username)

[deleted]

[deleted]

iggyvolz

I don’t particularly care what it is, I’m just tired of waking up every morning with a different syntax for it. I’m honestly concerned that PHP 8 might get delayed/cancelled over this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.