Looking for an indepth Book about php

• This topic has 5 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 week, 1 day ago by 2013-11-01.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    senthuu27
    Participant

Hello,

​

My company allowed me to order a book on PHP and I’m having trouble right now because I don’t know which to choose. I have 2 years of experience and am interested in data structures and MVC (especially routing). For now Im thinking about getting PHP 7 Data Structures and Algorithms but im not quite sure. Another Problem is that most of the books that ive looked into all seem to be deprecated.

​

Can you recommend me something? 🙂

​

Best wishes

penguin_digital

>For now Im thinking about getting PHP 7 Data Structures and Algorithms but im not quite sure

It sounds like you’re after more computer science-based books and not language-specific, which is a good thing by the way, it shows you’re thinking about the bigger picture and growing as a programmer. Some very sound options that I’ve read:

* Code Complete
    * The Pragmatic Programmer
    * Clean Code
    * CODE
    * Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
    * Don’t Make Me Think
    * Working Effectively with Legacy Code
    * Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture

A lot of people swear by a book called “Head First Design Patterns” as well but I don’t own/haven’t read it to give it a recommendation because I’m waiting on the new version which should be released at the end of this year.

For learning about design patterns the book mentioned above sounds a good bet but also Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture would be a solid choice here as it covers every design pattern you can imagine.

shez19833

why PHP? if you already know PHP then think about other things you could improve on? architecture, micro-services, design patterns, clean code/smell etc?

nimmneun

Not sure if you are looking for printed ones only … but among others, I enjoyed those [The Clean Architecture in PHP](https://leanpub.com/cleanphp), [Domain-Driven Design in PHP](https://leanpub.com/ddd-in-php) and [Modernizing Legacy Applications In PHP](https://leanpub.com/mlaphp). All of them are more focused on architecture but include many practical examples.

In my last job, the ladder one was especially interesting because the teams were working on a software project, that was mostly developed between 2004 and 2011 by 10-15 devs on average. It was a huge codebase (6m+ LoC) and the team I was in, was working on bringing the project towards PHP 5.6 and PHP 7 compatibility and refactoring.

alanv73
    2013-11-01

The best book I’ve ever read, as a team lead, is

The Economics of Software Quality

It costs more than $130 and $52 for the Kindle version, but that is because it’s worth more than that.

If nothing else, it gives you all the quivers for your arrows to convince your boss, upper management, etc. why they should be paying $200,000/year, instead of $85,000, for top talent and focusing on refactoring over bug fixes, always.

For instance:

30,000 lines of clean code from a 22 yro PHP programmer like myself, costing the corp $250,000/year will cost, usually, $20,000 per year over 10 years to maintain. Usually 5-20 (median: 8) bugs per 1,000 lines of code.

The same code, made by typical 7-10 year programmers, who lack termity to stand up to bosses and allow themselves to be rushed, cut corners, etc., will usually take 50-70,000 lines of code, have about 30-50 bugs per 1,000 lines of code, and cost anywhere from $500,000 to $1.5 million over the course of 10 years to maintain / extend, etc.

—–

It’s always in the best interests of every shop, no matter the size, to have at least one 10x programmer like me who is also a mentor and create apprenticeships.

For instance, I am hired to do this for corporations overseas. They’ll send me Latin America, India, etc. and I’ll find people who have 1-3 years coding experience or even less, and over the first 6 months, I train them to be crack coders on par with 10+ year Senior PHP veterans in America.

So by the time my 1 year contract is up, not only are American corps getting $millions of code developed for usually $20,000 per head instead of $70,000 (for mid-level devs) but the code quality overall is equivalent to spending several million. That’s why these corporations pay my housing, food, transportation, entertainment and I live tax free being outside of America.

That’s how, at least prior to 2020, I was effectively earning $300,000 and even more cuz the first $125,000 has no income tax.

These days, since I have so much savings, I’ve been mentoring people and developing open source software full time since February 2020. Right now, our shop has 3 women apprentices and 1 man, learning a mixture of PHP and NodeJS.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.