Made some sites without a child theme, they have custom css and php, how can I proof them so I can uupdate plugins, wordpress core, etc.?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    yuppieByDay
    Participant

Like the title says.

I just finished some sites and stupidly and lazily didn’t make child themes. I’m about to hand them off to the clients and would like to make sure they will be able to update things, or I will be able to update things, with nothing getting wiped out.

Many thanks!

mjslawson

If possible, download the original unmodified theme and compare the files you’ve changed using [DiffChecker](https://www.diffchecker.com/) as it will show you how/where you modified the files.

Probably don’t need to say this, but make a backup of the theme folder.

zaphodx42

So if I understand correctly you‘ve used a bought theme and made changes to css/templates. In that case these changes will most likely be overwritten with the next update by the theme developer.

Best case, you created a separate stylesheet and still know what files you‘ve adapted. Then you can just create a childtheme and copy these files over.

As far as I know this is the only way and I would do it before you go live. I wouldn‘t deliver anything else since you‘ll have a lot more work after the next update.

netnaps

For CSS you can add that to extra CSS in customize option

For PHP codes you can use Code Snippets plugin and add codes to your site individually.

In this way, you won’t require a child theme or if you update nothing would change.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.