Migrating from Square Space to WordPress

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    DustinCopy
    Participant

Hi guys,

I’m hoping I could get some advice on how to handle a potential upcoming situation.

First off, I made the mistake of starting with SquareSpace, I know…
    Anyways, I started the domain transfer to WordPress yesterday and I may have jumped the gun a bit doing this.

I already use my domain, via SquareSpace, as my main email.
    I need to do whatever is necessary to minimize how much my email service is interrupted during this transfer.

I know I have to do something with the DNS Records, but can’t figure out what it is bouncing around both SquareSpace and WordPress help. Maybe I’m missing it, maybe I’m just dumb about this and maybe I’m just too tired to comprehend what I’m reading.

Anyone willing to give me some tech advice for a quasi-techy?

Thanks!

woktown

What limitations on Squarespace are causing you to migrate to WordPress?

Technically you aren’t transferring the domain to WordPress.

Your email system (assuming you purchased the domain from Squarespace) is run through GSuite – see here: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206542007-Cancelling-your-G-Suite-account

I’m making assumptions because your post lacks the details needed to properly assist you – but technically speaking when the records on your domain are set to point to the correct mail server (depends on your host) all emails will be fine.

DustinCopy

***And if this is a better fit for the /r/hosting threat, please let me know, mods.
    Not really sure where it fits there since I THINK that what I need has to do with working within WordPress’s UI.

brigzen

It should be clarified that sites like Wix or Squarespace are not websites for the user. They are profiles in a web service that allows them to customize some pages and adjust the user’s domain in the url. The ideal? To have your own website. That is the difference that should be explained to the client. A website of our own that today is built with CMS. And that the most popular currently is WordPress.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.