Should comments be loaded statically, or can I load them asynchronously/after the page loads?

• This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 2 months ago by CharlesCSchnieder.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    kplatinum777
    Participant

Traditionally, a WordPress theme will have static comments, because they’ll be in some sort of comment loop that runs on the single.php template, and so will be rendered with the page.

However, I’ve noticed a number of blogs that use Disqus or other comment setups wherein the comments are loaded dynamically (over AJAX) after the page loads, or when a user clicks a “See Comments” button.

I’ve been considering this for a client of mine, who has a high-traffic site, with a fairly active comments section. I’m considering either decoupling the comments from single.php and loading the comments after the initial page render OR switching to a Nuxt/headless WordPress setup, which will do the same thing.

This is a simplistic question, I suppose, but is there any detriment to doing that? Obviously Google and other search engines aren’t going to wait around for asynchronous JavaScript/AJAX calls, but do comments matter terribly for SEO? To be clear, the commenters on this site are from the community; the authors of the site aren’t going to be disseminating any crucial information in the comments section, as it’ll be in the main article.

CharlesCSchnieder

I’m not 100% sure but I have high doubts that much SEO comes from user submitted comments

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.