What non-PHP languages/tools have you learned for fun and side projects?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    danielwbean
    Participant

From [How I pick coding side projects that keep me motivated to learn](https://triplebyte.com/blog/how-i-pick-coding-side-projects-that-keep-me-motivated-to-learn/?ref=rddtpost):

>Eventually, I stopped coding so much after work. I was writing the same PHP code at work that I was writing at home. I was tired of doing the same thing all day long…
    >
    >After a few months at that first programming job, I had to do something new. I had heard a lot about Python. It seemed to be more powerful than PHP, and I was still doing affiliate marketing on the side.
    >
    >I began building a URL shortener and tracking platform for my affiliate links. It really helped increase sales with my affiliate side business by giving me more details about visitors. Shortly after that, I used what I learned to build an ERP system in Python at my day job.

nlundsten

Electron is a fun side project if you ever need to whip up a prototype of something quickly and then build a native app from it for any os.
    Chromium with node + html + css. You can easily bring in jquery+bootstrap and any js libs.. definitely will use again.

cb_max

D with vibe.d. Fun to use and astonishing fast.

xRockTripodx

Vue.js, because I wanted to. C#, because I had to.

helloiamsomeone

CMake.

It was an arduous process, but it also revealed how many people ardent adversaries when it comes to sensible build systems.

hagenbuch

Python looks good to me. If you want a weird hobby look into Forth 🙂 or Haskell (?) and if you want to use hardware like the ESP32 learn C.

Stanjan

C#, Java, Go, Python, also some frontend stuff for a change (I personally liked Vue) 🙂 Tried nodejs & Swift aswell but couldnt really get into it. I also liked getting into devops!

ashe34h

I got a bit sick of PHP and javascript, and I’m doing some C++ video courses right now. I programmed a bit in it ages ago, but now I want to properly learn it, not just mess around.

Phalcorine

Vaadin, Java SPA framework for building frontend applications (both client and server-side). I kind of hate JavaScript so I just wanted to be a bit free from it.

And surprisingly, I had to learn TypeScript for Client-Side Views (Fusion).

😅

DrWhatNoName

C++
    ASIO/2
    AdonisJS (Is a javascript framework designed to be simluar to Laravel)
    C#/.Net

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.